Going mountain biking? Here are some things you should take
By Kory Pitcher, KSL Contributor | Posted – Sep 14th, 2018 @ 12:17pm
THE GREAT OUTDOORS
The days are getting shorter, but it’s not time to put the mountain bike away just yet. Some of the best riding of the year in Utah is found in the autumn days ahead. The beautiful fall colors, cooler temperatures and often ideal-trail conditions mean that there are many miles of fun to still be had before winter.
The basics for a short ride
The basics for a ride of around an hour (not including the proper clothing and food/water, which you should always have) should include:
- A flat repair items-spare tube and patch kit
- One to two tire levers
- A tubeless-tire plug
- Tire boot
- Mini pump (be sure you have the proper valve-presta or schraeder) or carbon dioxide inflator (but keep in mind that it doesn’t work well in extreme cold)
- A mini multi-tool like the Topeak Hexus X
- Zip ties
- A quick-chain link (in case your bike chain breaks)
- A small first-aid kit
If you are going on a weekend ride where you’ll be exploring for a few hours or all day long, bikers should include the basics listed above, plus the following:
- A second inner tube
- A more comprehensive mini multi-tool (the Topeak Alien II is a favorite)
- Shock pump
- A mini pump to back up a carbon dioxide inflator
- Extra tubeless valve
- A small headlamp
- An extra derailleur cable cut to the correct length (here’s a tutorial on how to replace it)
- A spare derailleur hanger
- An M4 and M5 bolt
- Emergency energy food
Of course, none of this will help much without the knowledge of how to fix your bike. Spend some time in your local bike shop and ask them for help. Park Tool also has a fantastic series on bike maintenance on YouTube.
This list might sound intimidating, but it’s not as cumbersome as one might think and can easily be managed.
So hit the trails this fall, prepared to ride and make some new cycling memories to carry you through winter.
This is is a syndicated post. Read the original at ksl.com